Skip to main content

Are tiny houses worth the no mortgage loan?


I've been keeping tabs on the tiny house movement for years. I'm not ashamed to admit I've been stalking Pinterest and Google, ogling at the assortment of delightful bungalows. My favorites are those fashioned from a hodgepodge of materials, but I've seen some rather impressive use of shipping containers, derelict vans, old galvanize, and pieces of restored wood. I also watch TV shows where homeowners share their construction experiences and decisions to live the tiny house lifestyle. And although I know they can't hear me, I still shout at their backs, "I want one too!" as they show off their hobbit bathrooms.

Most of all I watch with admiration as people slim their existence down to 12 personal items, and move into a home as small as 500 square feet. To some others, this move may look like total insanity, but those making the shift believe it's the most freeing thing that they could do. They believe they are ridding themselves of the unnecessary trappings that weigh heavily on their lives and their pockets.

So who is right, and who is insane? Are most of us with our homes over 1,800 square feet, the voice of reason and a sound mind, or is the tiny-home crowd, with no clutter and no mortgage loan, the ones who should be calling us coo-coo?

So, I decided to obtain information to weigh some pros and cons of living in a tiny home vs a traditional house, in terms of cost and comfort, as I wanted a more realistic view of this new wave of suburban living. What I found was unexpected.

COST:
From my research, I discovered the average mortgage loan in the US runs from $250,000 to $375,000, with a monthly repayment of approximately $1,100. Information on the mortgage site, thebalance.com shows that in 2019, the median mortgage payment made by US homeowners is $1,030. These mortgage payments would be payable for an average of 30 years.

So, the conventional house weighs in as large loan for construction or purchase and large monthly loan repayments.

Now let's compare the cost of a traditional house to the average cost to build a 500 square-foot tiny house. This size is considered as one of the larger tiny houses.

The cost to build a traditional house is between $50-$100 per square foot, while the same square footage for a tiny house will cost an average of $300 for construction. It's immediately evident that the cost per square footage for a 500 square foot tiny house is more than double the cost for that same area space of a 'regular sized' house. This means that in some instances, the building cost for a tiny home, despite its small proportions, can surpass the cost to construct a regular size home.

Another factor that was considered is that tiny house builders cannot access loans for their build. To finance their projects, they will sometimes take a personal loan, or, save enough money to build without borrowing. Despite the larger upfront building cost, a tiny house will still result in savings over time, as there is no long term mortgage loan payment.

And now, the tiny house weighs in as possible higher upfront costs, no mortgage loan, no or little personal loan repayment, more cost-friendly option over time.



With that settled, I searched for information on the comfort level of living tiny. I'll share two opposite viewpoints.

COMFORT:
Newlyweds, Collin, and Joanna Gibson moved into their 130 square foot home in Stratford Ontario, after building it for over a year. Things were going well with the couple's ideal living dream until Joanna became pregnant six months into the marriage. They tried going it bravely for a while, but they had to eventually abandon their dream as they realized things could not work out with Joanna's need for more room to move around and the extra space that the baby would need.

Nikitia Moore of Danville, Ga. will be retiring in a few years and she bought her tiny home as part of her plan to live a simpler life. She felt that this option would make her happier, and she is not disappointed. Moore shares that she's gotten rid of bad habits such as overspending, as there's literally no room for her previous shopaholic tendency. She's also appreciating the tranquil environment to pursue projects including soap and lipstick making -things she'd been wanting to do for a very long time. She admitted that living the minimalist lifestyle is one of the better decisions she has ever made.

MY CONCLUSION:
My research does not factor other components of living tiny, such as land access, energy costs, or building permits. Some will be high-cost factors and others will help save quite a lot of money over time, so I'm weighing in on the side of the no mortgage loan payments.

Overall, I'm satisfied that I have a somewhat clearer view of the tiny living movement with its increasing number of house owners. I'm sure that I'll continue to gaze starry-eyed at the beautiful tiny houses I see - although now I know the ins and outs a bit more, there is more insight that I have to consider. Given the opportunity though, I'll probably go the way of a tiny house way one day.

What about you?

Comments

  1. My wife and I are constantly watching the tiny home tv shows and have decided we would move into one if we had a bunch of neighbors who wanted to do it as well. Maybe six couples and we would share a common outdoor area with a fire pit etc. (a dream I know) We'd also have to live somewhere where its warm year round. I think with a Tiny House you would save a large amount on taxes as well. Great information for those looking to scale down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Scott. I'm delighted to know you're among the tiny house lifestyle dreamers. I too am constantly watching these shows on youtube, tv, google pics, pinterest, lol. That tiny house community with a fire pit you're dreaming about sounds so enticing! We have lots of sun year-round where I am in the Caribbean, so now you've got a likely sunny location for your dream community. Keep dreaming - and working - at making it happen :)

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of a tiny house. I'd need to learn to declutter first though. I have a friend in America who built a tiny house for himself and his daughter. He showed step by step photos as he went along and it was pretty amazing and exciting. He's been in it a couple of years now and has survived harsh winters. He loves it.
    We've also watched some shows about it here. In one they used shipping containers. That idea appealed to my husband. Buying the plot of land would be more expensive than building the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes, tiny houses are awesome! I have actually started to de-clutter by throwing away at least four things per week. I believe I was inspired subconsciously by the tiny lifestyle. I get anxiety sometimes because I want to hold on to things with emotional value, but I'm meeting my goal. I also love the container homes - they are so ingenious, and in fact, containers were the first tiny homes I ever saw. It's so awesome you know someone who built and lives in one. The land is definitely going to be way more than the house, but think about how much can be saved over time. Keep watching and enjoying.

      Delete
  3. I have always wanted to live in a tiny house. When I heard that we are moving soon I was expecting it would be a tiny house. But it wasn't and just another apartment! I wish to live in a tiny house someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Snehal, aren't they awesome?! I think it's a great choice for young couples or small families or even empty-nesters. And it's not only a freeing lifestyle, its also definitely easier on the pocket in the long run. Keep dreaming and doing your research to make it a reality, cause it's possible! :)

      Delete
  4. Tiny home is springing up in the urban centers like Silicon valley, New York, Boston, etc. it will be useful for people with zero interest in family or those who are single.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, yes, I noticed that urban areas are really catching the tiny house wave. As you said, people in those areas are mostly yuppies or creative artists who want to leave a smaller footprint on the world. Tiny houses for them are their first homes. Others just want to be trendy while saving money. I've noticed, though, there are a lot of young families or middle-aged individuals who set up their tiny home in suburban or even rural areas. I like the diversity.

      Delete
  5. We've discussed tiny homes (or motorhomes) as part of our retirement plan. It's a little scary to get rid of the things that I've been accumulating for the past 50 years, and I'm not sure I'd actually want to sell our "home base." We'll have to see. I can't imagine living in that small of a space with young children though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, your plans for a tiny home as a retirement plan sounds really awesome! I've seen some episodes where people have done that and are enjoying the experience. Change is scary, isn't it? But like you said, you can still keep your home and give the tiny home a run and go back to your big house if things don't work out for you in the tiny house. Life is all about pushing the boundaries, anyway. PS...a motorhome sounds exciting!

      Delete
  6. Tiny houses might be so exciting! I have never seriously thought about that really because currently I am waiting to move to a huge house and start on working with family numbers. Tiny house must be a minimalist heaven and cleaning horror (because due to small space you need to keep everything super clean)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your upcoming move to your new house and your growing family, Lyosha. Tiny houses are definitely not for everyone, so you have to do what's best for what you want out of life. Wishing you all the best!

      Delete
  7. I would love to have a tiny house somewhere way up in the hills where I could stay like a local during the Indian summer months which are really too hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great plan to have a tiny house getaway where you can enjoy the surroundings and the weather. Hope you get to fulfill your dream.

      Delete
  8. I would love to have a tiny home as my second home in a remote locale, but I'd go mad in such a small space. I already live minimal...hate clutter and "stuff" to fill spaces. There are some super cute ideas on Pinterest indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Debra, tiny homes is not for everyone, for sure. Some people need to have a bigger space for comfort and their terms of convenience. A tiny home as a second home doesn't sound like a bad idea at all!

      Delete
  9. Oh yeah, I think I could this way if my house at the moment grows much smaller for my preferences and circumstances!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tiny home living is very fascinating. I would love to consider this. Lavern Moore.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment

Popular Posts

7 quick & easy salads for busy lady bosses

These 5 daily actions can make you happier

5 simple smoothies for energy-filled mornings

Shine some light on your writing with Grammarly

Covid 19 info