Skip to main content

These 5 daily actions can make you happier



Every day we get the chance to start afresh with a new set of experiences. It's an automatic reset of opportunity to live richer and fuller lives than we did in the previous 24 hours. And it's a chance to become happier, too.

Truth be told, though, sometimes we find it difficult to enjoy some days; those days where we feel like everything is going wrong, and all our plans to improve our lives are standing a great distance away, having a good laugh at us. On days like these we can become discouraged to the point of wanting to give up. But we don't have to throw in the towel, just yet. There are some tried and proven activities, principles and tactics we can utilize to help us achieve and maintain a happy outlook. I'd like to share five of them with you. When you do these five things every day, you'll begin to experience more joy in your life.

Photo by Mwabonje from Pexels

Smile

Don't you think a smile is a beautiful thing to see? It can instantly boost your mood when you see one plastered on someone's face, right? Well, it turns out that your own smiles can give you a sense of happiness, too.

When you smile your brain is triggered to release the neurotransmitters serotonin, dopamine and endorphins, which work together to make you experience positive emotions. Studies have also found that a smile does not need to be natural or spontaneous to contribute to happy feelings. So someone having a bad day can curve their lips into a forced smile and the brain will still recognize it as bona fide, and trigger the feel-good neurotransmitters.

Photo by Yoann Boyer of Unsplash

Be Mindful

When you're being mindful, you're quietly tuning into your body's feelings, thoughts and sensations. Mindfulness is used as a form of therapy that helps with discovery of your 'self', which awakens self-awareness and acceptance, both of which contribute to positive attitudes and well being.

Photo from Carl Attard from Pexels

Practice Gratitude

Among its other benefits, gratitude helps improve psychological well being. The National Institutes of Health conducted a study in 2009 (Zahn et al 2009) which revealed a range of benefits to those who made it a habit to practice gratitude. One finding of this study is that feelings of gratitude directly activate the areas of the brain that are associated with the feel-good, 'happiness' neurotransmitter, dopamine.

This study also revealed that frequent gratitude can promote an ongoing cycle of happiness, because dopamine, which is called the 'reward' neurotransmitter, triggers the brain to reinforce the positive action which caused its release in the first place - in this case, gratitude - which then releases more dopamine.

Photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels

Connect

The new social norms of the modern lifestyle are pushing millions of people to the brink of isolation and loneliness. The breakdown of the family, work and career concerns, and conditions such as anxiety and depression are diminishing the chances for people to enjoy social interaction at an organic and mutually beneficial level. This study conducted in 2004 discovered that at that time, 25 percent of Americans did not have anyone to confide in. Today, close to 15 years after that study, and with loneliness being more rampant, we can make the assumption that this percentage has greatly increased over the years.

But, there is hope. As this study shows connections (even with strangers) can produce positive emotions. It is now known that there's a strong link between positive relationships and a positive self-esteem - an important component of happiness.

Photo by Elaine Casap of Unsplash

Help Someone

Giving has a positive effect on the body and mind. A number of studies show that the act of giving to charity or helping someone triggers the mesolimbic system of the brain which is responsible for feelings of reward. In 2007 Arthur Brooks of Syracuse University conducted a study that revealed people who give are 42 percent more likely to say they are "very happy" than people who do not give.

Further confirming the benefits of goodwill, social researchers, Stephen Post and Jill Neimark in their book, Why Good Things Happen to Good People, share that helping produces feelings of pleasure and happiness and leaves less room for negative emotions.

Happiness is just an action (or 5) away

These five actions can be easily added to your daily activities and can bring you a world of benefits. I hope you use these principles every day to help you achieve the happy and satisfying life you deserve.

Comments

  1. So true! Smiling does wonders, and so does practicing gratitude. I use a gratitude journal and try to write down at least three things a day that I’m thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so true. Smiling and laughing are great ways to improve any attitude. We've found helping or being of service to others also tends to do more to help US than anyone else, and teaches the children to be thankful and grateful for what they have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These 5 things are wonderful principles on which to build a happy life. Spreading happiness through smiling and connecting and helping people gives you a feeling of having good self-worth. Practising gratitude and mindfulness is likewise so good for the soul and our mental health. A great way to live life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all good things to do on a daily basis! I find being kind to others improves my mood very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Smile more - I make a conscious effort to wear a slight smile when out in public; it's better than a resting b1*ch face. But I'm usually naturally smiling because I often listen to funny podcasts :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I agree about smiling. It doesn't even have to be natural. I often suggest that people should look in a mirror every morning and smile at themselves. It starts as being forced, but becomes natural. And smiling is infectious. Spread the happiness. Thanks for sharing such a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is why i smile a lot. And i like people who smiles a lot too. My friends sometimes think that I am weird for smiling. Especially when there's nothing to smile about, just smile. Smiles clear any negative energy around you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a beautiful positive post! I always knew that smiling made me feel better but I never knew why! And it is so true that connecting with others can help one lead a more fulfilling life. Great write up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been much grateful for the good things in my life. I must start practicing it along with bonding with loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laughing and kindness is a must for me daily. I must make someone laugh, and must help life someone's burden in the best possible way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can be an introvert at times and I find if I've stayed away from interacting with others for too long I tend to get depressed. It's a great tip to stay connected with others!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had a lot of really good ideas. And the pictures you chose were fabulous! The whole layout looks very nice and professional. And all your suggestions were spot-on! I even practiced a few as I read them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a wonderful mentor tell me something in regards to gratitude. If we practice it, we give gratitude to others and to situations. However, we often forget to give our own selves gratitude...and some grace. I wish the news would cover this article...more people could use it:)
    -Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! To everything on this list! I feel happiness by doing all these things, too. They all keep me in high spirits and I’m motivated to take care of my own mental wellness because I know I can’t help others if I can’t help myself. I’m really interested in featuring a guest post of yours for “Wellness Wednesday”

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely need to smile more and be more grateful. I have been blessed with so much and I need to focus on those things!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is an excellent blog and one that resonates with me in that I make a conscious effort to practice gratitude every day. It's so easy to focus on the negatives of what we don't have, we actually tend to migrate there first.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Being happy or happier everyday is a goal to every person. I do believe we can actually achieve that for ourselves via simple and small steps you indicated

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment

Popular Posts

7 quick & easy salads for busy lady bosses

5 simple smoothies for energy-filled mornings

Are tiny houses worth the no mortgage loan?

Shine some light on your writing with Grammarly

Covid 19 info